When you think of scrumptious, mouthwatering British food, one of the first things that come to mind is fish, chips and mushy peas. Nothing could be more English than that! What if you have an easy to cook air fryer fish recipe in your collection? Definitely you will try for once.
Freshly cooked crispy soft chips, piping hot crumbed fish, smothered in salt and spices – that’s comfort food at its yummiest best. No wonder it is Britain’s favorite take-away as there are over 8500 fish and chip eateries in England.
That is 8 more food joints than every McDonald’s one in America.
Let’s discuss the origins of this wonderful meal.
History of the Fish & Chips Combo Meal
The potato might have been brought to England, but it is the French who invented the fried potato chips. Potato chips became a cheap staple of the industrial north in London in the 19th century, but fried fish was later introduced in the East End part of London.
In Charles Dickens iconic world-famous novel, ‘Oliver Twist’, there is a reference to a ‘fried fish warehouse’. Once the Yankees put fish and chips together, there was no stopping them and this delicious combination soon reached the popularity of a national dish.
In fact, the very first fish and chips shop ran by a Mr. Lees, who sold this delectable meal from a wooden hut, in 1863. Once he opened a brick and mortar eatery, he had it inscribed – ‘This is the first fish and chip shop in the world.
In fact, the Second World War, when fish was scarce, a fish and chips shop started selling fish cakes, with a warning to not consume them with vinegar!
Also Read : Cook Butterbal Turkey AT Home
Air Fryer Fish & Chips Recipes
So, here are two time-tested easy recipes for a luscious meal of fish and chips. To save you a million calories that you might gain from all the oil frying, we have brought you an air fryer fish recipe, along with a melt-in-your-mouth air fryer potato chips recipe.But don’t get scared, you need not to use your Bait Casting Rods to catch some fish
If you want to know how to fry fish in airfryer, this is the easiest recipe in the world. You get that entire great fish flavor, without any of the weight-gaining fat.
Win-win, we say.
Air Fryer Fish Recipe
- 2 Fish Fillets (you can use your preferred type; we like catfish the best for this recipe).
- 1 Egg (beaten well).
- A bag of Tortilla Chips, 25g.
- 3 Slices of Bread (whole meal, crumbed finely).
- 1 Lemon (with rind and juice both).
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley leaves.
- Grind the bread crumbs, parsley, lemon rind, tortillas, salt and pepper in your food processor till nice and crumbly. Spread in a large baking dish or tray.
- Cut your fish fillet into 4 nice pieces. Squeeze lemon juice over them and keep aside.
- After about 15-20 minutes, cover the fish fillet pieces with the egg you whipped beforehand.
- Lay the fish gently on the crumbed mix and flip it once for proper, even coating.
- Plug in your airfryer and cook the fish at 180 degrees Celsius till crispy on the outer sides and cooked inside. It might take about 10-15 minutes. Watch closely as to not to over-cook it.
Your kitchen will have that beautiful, zesty fish aroma – yum! Drooling is allowed.
Point to Note – The whole point of an air fried fish fillet make a healthy, wholesome dish without losing any of that awesome flavor, but with zero fat. So, this recipe doesn’t use a batter. You could try one with a batter, if you chose to. We love the tangy crispness just fine!
Air Fried Potato Chips Recipe
Have you ever thought about how to make the best fries in your air fryer that taste just like the professionals? If yes, then worry no more, as our air fryer fried chips recipe will knock your socks off – it’s just that good!
- 4 Potatoes, medium sized
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- First of all peel the potatoes and cut them into the shape of chips.
- Put the chips in your air fryer and plug it on a 180 degree Celsius setting.
- Smear them with olive oil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Shake your fries nicely and cook them for another 7-8 minutes.
- Then shake again and give it another 15 minutes in the air fryer.
- In addition you can serve the fries straight away after seasoning them liberally. For extra golden fries, pop it back in for 5 minutes more.
Season and serve your fries crispy and hot, along with your finger-licking air-fried crumbed fish.
A Couple of Expert Tips on Getting the Tastiest Fries Ever
- Make sure you balance the quantity of oil well – too much makes for soggy fries, and not too less just makes dry ones.
- Cut them up in slim chip-style to make them crispy; chunky chips don’t cook well.
- Finally, shaking the fries after each go in your air fryer makes for perfect, even cooking.
In Conclusion I can say air fryer fish recipe & chips recipe are quite easy to prepare at home. Your kids as well as other family members must love these preparations.I have published another delicious air fryer chicken wings recipe,have a look if you feel more interest. If you still thinking to buy an air fryer, then follow our observation here & pick your perfect fryer.